Friday, April 4, 2014

Spring Series - Freshen Up Friday

I've been eluding to a few projects I've been working on at my own house recently.  Today, I'm going to begin a new series for Spring called Freshen Up Friday.  For the next few weeks, I'm going to be posting every Friday on freshening things up.  I'm kicking off the series with a few posts on a complete makeover to my daughter's bedroom - The Tween Bedroom Makeover.  Then, as the weeks progress, I'll be including a few other tips on ways to freshen up your home for Spring.  Clearly, the Spring Fever has set in over here!  So, I hope you'll join me on Fridays.

To kick off this series, I'm going to start with the Tween Bedroom Makeover.   

The Scenario
For the past couple of years, my daughter has been making small comments about her room (mainly things that bother her about her room).  Don't get me wrong here, both my children are incredibly grateful kids, so it was not outright complaints.  Instead, these were more like observations on design that made it clear she had outgrown the room I designed for her when she was two.  

At the time, the room was lovely and worked perfectly for her.  It is the largest of the secondary bedrooms, and she had lots of floor space to play.  But now at almost 12 years old, the room does not seem to work anymore.  Her doll house has turned into a dust collector.   The mounds of stuffed animals and American girl dolls are stuffed in a chest in her closest.  The posters and pics on her bulletin board seem to clash with the soft floral pattern that once tied the room together.  

So, while it is a pretty room, she has simply outgrown the look.  It also didn't help that she was seeing several design plans for other tween rooms with fun patterns and colors I was doing for other clients.  

As Christmas approached her only request was "I want a design plan for my room like the ones you put together for your clients, Mom."  While our budget was tight and her taste quite specific, I decided to give it a try.   I can't wait to show you the transformation.   It's hard to get her out of there now that it's complete.

Next week, I am going to share with you the first step in transforming her room into a tween oasis - The Perfect Layout.  When you makeover a room, the layout should be the first thing you rethink to maximize the space/use of a room.  I hope you will enjoy the process.  It's going to be a fun Spring series!
Happy weekend.  M.

A Weekend Extra: If you live in the Birmingham area, the annual Spring art show is this Saturday in Crestline Village!  This is one of my all time favorite shows.  It is held on the football field of the elementary school right in the heart of Crestline Village.  There are lots of very talented artists who participate in this show, and it is so worth your time to go and take a look see. M.




No comments:

Post a Comment