Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Baby It's Cold

We are having some crazy cold temps here in Birmingham.  I realize below freezing is the norm for other parts of the country this time of year, but not so for those of us in the deep South.  I've been working on some really fun projects I'll be sharing with you during the next couple of months, but today I'm talking food.  Here are some cold weather worthy recipes to consider adding to your rotation.

Last night I made this yummy soup.  It started with a recipe for the best broth I have either put in my mouth (not kidding).  

The base for this recipe is a parmesan cheese broth recipe from one of my favorite cooking blogs, Smitten Kitchen.  I had never heard of a parmesan cheese broth, but it was amazing.  Here is a picture of her broth.
   Even on it's own, it was simply delicious.  But then I added a bit of a Southern twist - turnip greens and black eyed peas (left over from New Year's) to make it the perfect evening meal to warm you to the core.  

Let me just say, I'll never throw a parmesan cheese rind away again!  I paired mine with a glass of Pouilly-Fuisse' (a wonderfully light white wine) to cut the richness of the broth.   The perfect dinner for a cold winter's night.  

In addition to this yummy meal, I've also been busy preparing these recipes for crockpot meals to make week night meal preparations easier over the next couple of months.  These crockpot meals are all "make ahead" recipes.  They were super easy to assemble and seemed more interesting than the regular crockpot fare you normally think of when you use a crockpot.  Feeling much more organized and happy to have some home cooked meals in the works for the family.  We will see which ones get a thumbs up.  Stay warm!  M.

PS: In case you're a bit shocked I'm having a glass of wine and cooking yummy things at the start of 2014.  I chose not to make any New Year's resolutions this year (first time ever), and I have to say my usual dread for the month of January is non-existent.  Guess that's the trick.  

No comments:

Post a Comment